Skip to Main Content

Health Insurance

As an international student you must have health insurance in place for your studies in Germany. As part of the orientation days, representatives from German statutory health insurance companies will visit the university. They will check your current insurance and advise you. Your insurance should cover:

  • Medical and dental treatment
  • Supply of pharmaceuticals, wound dressings, therapeutic and aid products
  • Hospital treatment
  • Medical services for rehabilitation
  • Services during pregnancy and birth

Check which of the following situations applies to you:

  • You are a citizen of an EU country or Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland and are insured at home. In this case, your health insurance will probably cover your stay in Germany. Germany has signed social security contracts with these countries to ensure cross-border insurance coverage. With your European Health Insurance Card (EKVK) you are also insured in Germany. Please confirm this with your insurance provider before you travel.
  • You are a citizen of a non-EU country and are insured in your home country, but this insurance does not cover trips abroad. In this case, you must take out insurance with a statutory health insurance company in Germany (e.g. AOK, BEK, BKK, DAK, IKK, KKH, TK). Doctors will then bill you directly for each medical treatment that you require. Insurance for students currently costs around 107 euros per month. Although all statutory insurance policies cost the same, we recommend you compare the services and payment options offered by the different insurance providers.
  • You are a citizen of a non-EU country and your insurance coverage in your home country covers international travel or study stays. If this is the case, you may be exempt from the student insurance requirement. Bring your proof of insurance with you.
Back to Top